Nationwide Auto Insurance ReviewThursday, 25 July 2013 21:58
Nationwide Mutual Insurance is one of the top 10 largest auto insurers in the United States and is based out of Columbus, Ohio with regional headquarters in several other cities. Nationwide Mutual is a group of affiliated financial and insurance companies that sells multiple insurance products in 44 states. The company was recently rated highly for claims satisfaction and the company offers multiple unique discounts and programs to its customers for cost savings. Auto quotes have been reported to be higher than other providers, but the higher price may be worth it due to the higher quality of customer service and support that Nationwide offers.
Company Background Information
Nationwide was founded in 1925 with the name Farm Bureau Mutual by a group of Ohio Farm Bureau members who wanted to pay less for insurance than city drivers. Through numerous acquisitions and growth since then Nationwide currently has over 36,000 employees and is one of the largest insurance and financial services companies in the world. The company sells insurance in 44 states and the District of Columbia through agents and with direct to consumer marketing. AM Best gave Nationwide an A+ rating and a credit rating of “aa-“ for 2012. In J.D. Power’s 2013 survey of customer claims satisfaction for automotive insurers, Nationwide earned an impressive 4 out of 5 power circles, demonstrating the company’s commitment to customer service. Nationwide is currently the 8th largest auto insurer in the United States.
Pros of Nationwide Car Insurance
- Award winning claims handling
- Numerous discounts available including the Vanishing Deductible program
- Stable company focused on customer support
- Easy to navigate modern website with unique insurance apps
Cons of Nationwide Car Insurance
- Quotes may be higher than other providers
- Not available in every state
Nationwide offers multiple discounts with some of them being unique to them specifically. Here are some of the most popular discounts offered:
- Multiple policy discount – different configurations of home, auto, life, boat and multiple vehicle policies can save up to 25% or more.
- Family discounts – members of a household can receive the same discounts as the main policy holder.
- Safe driving discount – drivers who avoid an at fault accident and major traffic violations for 5 years can save up to 10% on their premium (varies by state).
- Good student discount – available to students 16 to 24 who maintain a B average.
- Farm Bureau discount – joining a Farm Bureau in select states can make a policy holder eligible for Nationwide’s Farm Bureau discount.
- Defensive driving course – policy holders over the age of 55 who take a defensive driving class. Taking an approved class can reduce auto premiums by around5%.
- Discount finder – an automatic tool that checks if Nationwide policy holders are eligible for new discounts every 6 months.
Nationwide has a Vanishing Deductible program, similar to Allstate, which offers a $100 deductible credit for every year of safe driving. The Vanishing Deductible program is an optional add-on and customers must meet eligibility requirements. The maximum amount for deductible savings is $500 and the program can reduce deductible costs substantially.
On Your Side Claims Service
The On Your Side Claims Service is designed to make filing claims simpler and easier, and Nationwide’s customers seem to appreciate this program with the high approval ratings from third party review organizations for claims handling. These features are included as a part of the On Your Side Claims Service program:
- Guarantee for all repairs – Nationwide provides a written guarantee on repairs that are completed at its select Auto Repair Network
- Nationwide Autowatch – allows customers to view the status of their vehicle repair online and also receive updates
- Mobile App – the process of filing a claim can be started with the convenient mobile claims app
- On Your Side Repair Network – a selection of shops that are screened for quality
Nationwide offers an optional roadside assistance program which is available to certain states and offers roadside assistance for flat tires, dead batteries, towing, or other roadside emergencies. There are two different Roadside Assistance programs, and the program includes: battery jump starts, lockout service, flat tire repair, towing up to 15 miles, emergency fuel, and a ditch extraction service. The Roadside Assistance Plus program offers towing up to 100 miles instead of the 15 mile limit along with trip interruption insurance that offers up to $500 reimbursement for lodging and food expenses for stranded travelers.
Types of Insurance Offered
Nationwide sells liability coverage, collision, comprehensive, uninsured and underinsured motorist, medical payment, personal injury, gap, towing, and rental reimbursement insurance from its auto products line. Each state has its own minimum requirements, with some requiring medical coverage, and Nationwide configures each of its insurance offerings to meet the minimum requirements of each state. Auto policy holders are eligible for the On Your Side Review program where an agent will sit down with a policy holder and discuss their vehicle’s insurance benefits and answer any questions they might have.
Nationwide has clearly spent effort on improving its customer service experience, as ratings from prior years were not as good as its most recent claims satisfaction survey. The company claims on its website to have a 95% customer satisfaction rating, which seems to be an accurate figure, since J.D. Power rated Nationwide higher than average for claims satisfaction. Although there are some negative reviews posted online, almost every major insurance provider has some customers who are unhappy and tend to turn to the internet to voice their disapproval. Nationwide’s high customer satisfaction rating make it one of the more favorable companies to consider for auto insurance.
There are many reasons to consider purchasing Nationwide auto insurance, including its highly rated customer support and the On Your Side claims service which can make claims processing go smoothly. The downside is that premium quotes may be higher than other providers. Many auto insurance customers will prefer paying a few dollars extra for the satisfaction of having a better service, and if you think that you might be interested in Nationwide insurance or a quote from other providers you can input your zip code on this page and receive live instant quotes from multiple providers.
Compare Quotes and Save Hundreds a Year on Car Insurance
The easiest way to make sure that you are getting the best rates is to ask for quotes from different insurance companies. Get started comparing quotes now!
|Market Share||Ranked 8th|
|AM Best Score||A+|
|JD Power Rating||4 out of 5|
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District Of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming